Thursday, October 11, 2012

Gurl! Hold Ma Weave!

I got my first haircut in about six months yesterday.  This is big news because it's my first haircut since I shaved my head last spring.  Like, completely bald.  That hairless freak you saw wandering the corridors?  Yeah, that was me.  The first thing most people ask when I told them I shaved my hair off is "Why?"  It's a valid question.
"Because I got my brown hair dyed blonde for a school show that I was in."
"Why didn't you just dye it back?"
"Well, the way they dyed it (doing highlights and whatnot) I couldn't have just dyed it back - it would've looked weird.  So, I just decided to shave it."
"Are you going to keep it short?"
"Haha! ...














My decision to shave it all off was quite rash, really.  I pondered how to solve the ever-worsening problem of my my dark roots for about a week.  I thought about dyeing it, but that would've look odd.  I thought about letting it grow out, but that would just look ridiculous.  I thought about letting it grow out just enough so I could cut the blonde parts off and still have a pixie cut, but that would take to long. The only logical thing left to do was to shave it.  So I did.  I sat on a plastic lawn chair in our back yard in front of a mirror propped up against a tree as my dad took to my head with an electric razor and much glee.  He had shaved his head bald before I was born, so he was really excited for me to follow in his footsteps.

For the first week, I went around with a mohawk.  According to some people I looked like "Puck" from "Glee," according to others I was a skinhead.

Then, for the next few weeks, I was completely bald.  It was funny, when I went shopping or to a restaurant or wherever, because I could tell that people were treating me more nicely.  People at the cash registers were more friendly, people gave me a sad/pitying smile when I passed them, etc.  I'm pretty sure they thought I was a cancer patient.  In fact, I was later told that some Uni parents asked their kids' if I was!

When my hair started to grow back, people's reactions changed drastically.  One time, I was sitting in DCL and two girls and their mum walked by.  One girl said, "Mom?  Why doesn't that girl have any hair?"  "Don't be rude!" hushed her Mum.  Another time, I was in Target when a mother and her kids passed by.  "Is that a boy or a girl?" asked one of the kids.  Again, the automatic reaction on the mum's part was to quiet the kids and hurry away.  Both times, I just laughed!  I'm pretty sure I got glares from a few people who were disapproving of my unorthodox hair, though, and that was not appreciated.  However, it made me wonder why people are so ashamed and disgruntled about non-ordinary hair.  Seriously, who cares?  If I want to go around looking like a freak, it's my problem.  If you don't like it, don't look at me!  Admittedly, it does bother me when I can't clearly tell someone's gender, since it makes things awkward.  However, it's not like I was going around trying to be androgynous - in fact, I made sure to wear dresses/skirts (with shorts underneath) whenever I went out in public.  And as for parents being so ashamed of their kids... They're kids!  They don't understand social rules!  They say whatever they're thinking!  That's why they're so awesome!  Why do we keep trying to break this habit out of them?  We are teaching them to stay bottled up and closed off from the world!  Let them be free!  Fly, little kiddies!  FLY!  Anyway...

I experienced this lack of inhibition every week this summer.  I worked at a camp for two months, and every week we'd get a new shipment of kids.  That meant that every week I had (got?) to hear, "Y'know, when I first saw you I thought you were a boy!"  At first, I laughed it off.  But after a month it got old.  Really old.  Then again, that meant that every week I got to mess with a new set of campers and tell them things like:  "Yeah, I was hiking in Maine and this bear came out of nowhere and started attacking me.  Before I got away it slashed my head and they had to stitch it back up so I had to shave it." or "I jumped off a high dive and the water pressure when I hit the pool was so high that it ripped all my hair out." or "My dog ate it."

By the time I got back to school in the fall, my hair had pretty much grown into a pixie cut.  The weird looks stopped coming, as did the comments questioning my gender.  However, one thing was still the same as when I first was bald; my friends kept touching my head and playing with my hair.  There was one lunch period where I had three people sitting around me, stroking my head, for 10 minutes.

I can't really figure out how to end this, so I'll just say this: friends are awesome because even if you look like the biggest freak in the world, they will still hang out with you because they love (creepily, at times) touching your head.










5 comments:

  1. This made me so happy. Since you started talking about shaving off your hair (almost wrote head, oops), I kept thinking that you have the perfect head shape and feminine face for the act. I don't know if you were expecting it, but from all the reactions you detailed on, it really seemed like your haircut was for a social experiment. Loving the picture of Colin in this post, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not only do we hang out with you to stroke your head (which we do), but we also hang out with you because we don't care if you're bald or if you have hair to your waist -- you're still Ella! :)

    I find this blog post really interesting. I never thought about what other's reactions to your hair (or lack thereof) might be. I guess it could sorta give you an idea of how judgmental everyone is. I'm glad you were able to laugh it all off.

    It must have taken great courage to get through the first week of being bald. I remember once I cut my hair to my ears and I cried for a couple days afterwards because I wanted long hair back. Going bald sure gave you some interesting new experiences!

    Nice use of a meme. I couldn't stop laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post, Ella! It's nice to see what you think about your haircut. I could see how it's something important to you.

    I find it relatable when you get questions about why your hair is short, the same way people ask me questions about the hijab. I get weird questions like "Is there A/C in there?" or "Will you die if you take it off?" I can play along sometimes but then people start wondering if I'm taking advantage of the situation. Really funny!

    The title of the post and the picture add a really nice touch! And really nice lesson in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make some great points here, and I like your attitude toward the curiosity of kids. I think it's great that you took the opportunity to shave your head. How many people (especially girls) get to experience that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this post a lot! And you have a lot of resilience to laugh off the various remarks :)

    I used to have short hair (I think it was about the same length as yours is now) in middle school, and I occasionally was mistaken for a boy. There was one time when I held the door open for someone, and they said, "What a nice young man!" It took me a while to get over that one. Short hair has a lot of benefits, though, namely the ease. You don't have to spend time styling it, and it's incredibly easy to wash. And I think you look just like Julie Andrews!

    ReplyDelete